British Columbia Government Crest
entire site this section
Main Index
Contact Us
Ministry of Transportation
Permits and Approvals
Rural Subdivision Approvals
Subdividing in BCApproval ProcessApplyUseful LinksFAQGlossaryFeedbackProvincial Map
Contacts by Districts
Roles and Authorities
  Referral Agencies

>> Health Authorities
>> Crown Land Management
>> Fisheries and Oceans Canada
>> Environment

Health Authorities

Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure staff draw on the expertise of the regional Health Authorities when evaluating the property's capacity for providing safe drinking water and adequate sewerage.

The Health Authority has approving authority for water systems and for sewer systems; in the case of on-site sewage disposal, it may make recommendations, but the Approving Officer makes the decision to accept or reject the proposal.

To find which Health Authority your property falls under, go to
Health Authorities - Ministry of Health


Crown Land Management

The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations & Rural Development manages the allocation of Crown land resources on behalf of the Government of British Columbia and its constituents.

In the context of subdivision approvals, the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations & Rural Development is responsible for issuing tenure to cross Crown land, if required for access, under the Land Act and the Ministry of Lands, Parks and Housing Act

The Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations & Rural Development also operates FrontCounter BC as a single window service for clients of provincial natural resource ministries and agencies.

At FrontCounter BC offices across the province, natural resource clients obtain all the information and authorizations they need to start or expand a business.

Visit to learn more about the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations & Rural Development, or to find out more about how FrontCounter BC can help you with your authorization applications.


Fisheries and Oceans Canada

In reference to land subdivision, the federal Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans Canada is primarily concerned with protection of fish habitat under the federal Fisheries Act. Fisheries and Oeans Canada works with the Ministry of Environment in this regard. Either or both may be asked to review a subdivision proposal.


Ministry of Environment & Climate Change Strategy

The Ministry of Environment & Climate Change Strategy is the resource for:

  • Environmental protection. The Land Remediation Section administers the provisions for the investigation and remediation of contaminated sites in British Columbia under the Environmental Management Act and Contaminated Sites Regulation.
  • Ecosystems. The Ministry's publication, Develop with Care provides information on related legislation.
  • Water stewardship. All water in British Columbia is owned by the Crown on behalf of the residents of the province. Authority to divert and use surface water is obtained by a licence or approval in accordance with the statutory requirements of the Water Sustainability Act and the Water Protection Act . A water licence application is submitted by the applicant to FrontCounterBC.