Preliminary Approval and Development

The applicant completes any work required by the Preliminary Layout Review.

This is the stage where you:

  • Obtain approval for design of water and sewer systems from the responsible authorities
  • Construct roads and services according to inspection requirements contained in the current edition of the “TAC Guide
  • Have your BC Land Surveyor prepare the final survey plans for the subdivision
  • Arrange for other documentation as required in the PLR, such as restrictive covenants, easements, and statutory rights of way
  • Obtain a tax certificate confirming that current taxes are paid. Tax certificates are available from Provincial Collectors located in the Provincial Government Agent’s Office
  • Complete other requirements in the PLR

As you develop your subdivision, make sure that the responsible agency inspection requirements are met; they may require notice, or authorize a certified professional to inspect and report. For example, roads must be inspected at several steps along the way. The local District office will advise you of the standards and the inspection schedule.

Similarly, other authorities will inspect the construction of other services, such as water and electricity.  In some instances, it may be necessary for a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist to certify that the work has been constructed in accordance with established standards.

As a general rule, it is good practice to maintain contact with the agency who will take over the utility or facility after the subdivision is approved. Representatives from those agencies can supply you with information on inspections.

This guide is a living document; it is subject to change without notice. Please check the Rural Subdivisions Website ( to make sure you version is sufficiently current.