Who Needs a Structures Permit?

All structures must be placed at least 4.5 metres back from the right-of-way, or 3 metres where the structure has an additional access, according to Section 12 of the Provincial Public Undertakings Regulation BC Reg. 513/2004 . Anyone intending to obtain relief from setback regulations must apply for a permit, under Section 62 and Section 90of the Transportation Act .

The legislation and regulations specify the Minister of Transportation as the authority for these sections; Orders-in-Council 2434/81 and 47/82 delegate that authority to the Regional Director, Provincial Approving Officer and District Manager, Transportation

Please note that local government may have different setbacks in their zoning bylaws.

Go to Apply: Structures Permits for information specific to the following permits:

This guide is a living document; it is subject to change without notice. Please check the Rural Subdivisions Website ( to make sure you version is sufficiently current.