British Columbia Government Crest
entire site permits site
Main Index
Contact Us
Ministry of Transportation
Permits and Approvals
Rural Subdivision Approvals
Highway Permits and
Ministry of Transportation AuthoritiesApproval ProcessApplyForms and ChecklistsGlossaryFAQUseful LinksFeedbackContacts
Contacts by Districts

Who Needs a Structures Permit?

All structures must be placed at least 4.5 metres back from the right-of-way, or 3 metres where the structure has an additional access, according to Section 12 of the Provincial Public Undertakings Regulation BC Reg. 513/2004 . Anyone intending to obtain relief from setback regulations must apply for a permit, under Section 62 and Section 90of the Transportation Act .

The legislation and regulations specify the Minister of Transportation as the authority for these sections; Orders-in-Council 2434/81 and 47/82 delegate that authority to the Regional Director, Provincial Approving Officer and District Manager, Transportation

Please note that local government may have different setbacks in their zoning bylaws.

Go to Apply: Structures Permits for information specific to the following permits: