Who Needs a Special Events Permit?

The Ministry of Transportation issues special events permits pursuant to Section 62 of the Transportation Act. Permits are required for any organized event that has participants using a portion of the highway, where such an event may affect the normal flow of traffic.

The Ministry of Transportation is interested in all special events that take place on a provincial highway. These might include filming, parades, sports and fundraising events. It also includes the movement of livestock, such as with cattle drives.

Go to Apply: Special Events Permits for information specific to the following permits:

This guide is a living document; it is subject to change without notice. Please check the Rural Subdivisions Website ( to make sure you version is sufficiently current.