British Columbia Government Crest
entire site permits site
Main Index
Contact Us
Ministry of Transportation
Permits and Approvals
Rural Subdivision Approvals
Highway Permits and
Ministry of Transportation AuthoritiesApproval ProcessApplyForms and ChecklistsGlossaryFAQUseful LinksFeedbackContacts
Contacts by Districts
  Special Events Permits

All events on provincial right-of-ways require a special events permit. These can include:

  • parades
  • races
  • protests
  • fundraising events, such as charity races, poker runs or individual walks or rides
  • filming
Please contact the District Transportation Office with at a minimum of 30 to 60 days' lead time if you are planning a special event.

For more information, visit the Ministry of Transportation's Filming and Special Events website.

The general application procedure is as follows:

  1. Prepare an application form with details as required on the Special Events Checklist.

  2. A Ministry staff person will respond to your application with confirmation that your application has been received. If the event takes in more than one traffic jurisdiction, one person will be specified as the coordinator. Approval may be dependent on the availability of a good standard, well-signed detour route.

  3. Ministry staff will review your application, including consultations and site visits as necessary.

  4. Your application will be approved or denied dependant on safety requirements.

Apply for a special events permit.



Ministry of Transportation Special Event Coordinators can help you coordinate your film project or special event. Contact them during the planning phase of your project. Outside the Lower Mainland, the coordinators may refer you to the District Transportation Office in the area of the province where you are filming.

Please submit an application form and a Certificate of Insurance. Without both of these, the Ministry of Transportation cannot issue a filming permit.

For more information, visit the Ministry of Transportation's Filming and Special Events website.

Apply for a filming permit.


Cattle Drives

For the safety of all road users, procedures are in place for operating a cattle drive along provincial highways. These procedures were drafted by the Ministry of Transportation in consultation with the B.C. Cattlemen’s Association, the RCMP, the Ministry of Agriculture, and the Ministry of Forests. For complete information, go to the Cattle Drive Information website.

Apply for a cattle drive permit.