Other Approvals

Road name changes affect more than just the area residents; they also affect mail delivery, 911 service, fire and police protection. The Ministry of Transportation is the final authority on road name changes for highways under their jurisdiction. The Ministry will not normally consider a road name change unless at least one half of the property owners on the road petition for a change. Outside sources, such as local governments, developers, or the general public may suggest names for the highway or structure. Once you have secured the necessary signatures, the Ministry will undertake the process of public notice to receive any objections. Copies of the notice will be sent to local government[s], Canada Post, emergency services and the local Member of the Legislature. If any objections are received, you will be expected to resolve them in a satisfactory manner.

Once any objections have been resolved, the District Transportation official will prepare a report for the Regional Manager responsible for Highway Planning. If acceptable, it will be forwarded on to the Highway Planning and Policy Branch for the preparation of a gazette notice to formalize the road name change. Once the gazette notice is published, the local Ministry of Transportation office will notify all affected agencies and arrange for new road name signs to be installed.

This guide is a living document; it is subject to change without notice. Please check the Rural Subdivisions Website (http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/permits/Subdibision_Home.asp) to make sure you version is sufficiently current.