Ministry of Transportation Authorities

>> Permits
>> Roles in Controlled Access Highways
>> Arterial Highways
>> Community Charter
>> Referrals
>> Unauthorized Use or Occupation

A person must not use or occupy a provincial highway unless he or she is authorized to do so under the following regulations:

  • Sections 48, 49, 52, or 62 (1) of the Transportation Act
  • under another act
  • by a lease entered into under Section 13 (2) of the Transportation Act
  • according to law

Ministry staff hold a complete range of powers over provincial public undertakings, including the following actions on provincial highways:

  • "Plan, design, acquire, hold, construct in any manner or place, use, operate, upgrade, alter, expand, extend, maintain, repair, rehabilitate, protect, remove, discontinue, close and dispose" (from the Transportation Act).

The legislation is "results based", meaning that it avoids prescriptive edicts, but will still hold all highway users accountable for the actions they take on and around the right-of-way.

Other provincial Statutes such as the Land Act, the Land Title Act, the Motor Vehicle Act, the Local Government Act, the Real Estate Development and Marketing Act and the Strata Property Act, require the Ministry to issue approvals or comments on land use referrals from other agencies.

This guide is a living document; it is subject to change without notice. Please check the Rural Subdivisions Website ( to make sure you version is sufficiently current.