Most developments on and around the provincial highway are not assigned an inspector; however, Ministry staff may visit the site at any time during the development, project or event.

If a project is of significant size and complexity, the developer or project manager may be required to retain a suitable inspector or independent contractor as approved by the Ministry, and be required to pay for their time.

If you are hiring a professional engineer, then ensure they are working in their field of expertise, and are prepared to formally sign-off on the project.

This guide is a living document; it is subject to change without notice. Please check the Rural Subdivisions Website ( to make sure you version is sufficiently current.