Environmental Regulatory Compliance for
Highway Development and Operations

Water Use or Diversion

Potential Approval, Permit or Code of Practice Requirements:


Approval from the Ministry of Environment under Section 8 of the Water Act is required for short term (less than 12 months) use or diversion of water. Approvals for Short Term Use of Water are the responsibility of the Water Stewardship Division of the Ministry of Environment. The use and diversion of all surface waters for a period of greater than 12 months requires a water licence. The applicant must have ownership or have substantial interest in the land where the water is to be used (e.g., registered owner, leaseholder, tenure under the Land Act in the case of Crown Land). Water licence applications should be submitted to nearest office listed here.



Relevant Section or Regulation:

Regulating Agency:


Copyright. Disclaimer. Privacy. Accessibility.