Table of Contents Drainage Easements

Drainage Easements

Easements for road drainage are required if the District Development Technician determines that there may be a drainage concern. They are necessary to ensure that runoff of groundwater does not collect in the development but is carried to an approved natural outfall.

Drainage easements should be located where they have a minimal effect on property values, such as along a property line rather than through the middle of the property. They should be a minimum of six metres wide, so that equipment can be brought in to maintain the drainage channel.

Note: Diversions of, or altera tions to, watercourses require the approvals the Ministry of Environment, Water Stewardship Division.

The subdivider should do the following:

  • Arrange for the preparation of any necessary legal survey plans
  • Prepare the easement documents in a form acceptable to the Registrar of the Land Title & Survey Authority
  • Submit the documents to the District Transportation Office with the final subdivision plan
  • Submit a current State of Title Certificate to the District Transportation Office. The District Development Technician checks this against the easement document to ensure that all persons with a financial interest in the land have signed the easement document.
  • Deposit the easement documents in the Land Title & Survey Authority together with any necessary plans.

If charges of a financial nature are registered against the title of the parent property, the chargeholders must submit postponement or priority agreements. These allow the easement to be registered with priority over the financial charge.

This guide is a living document; it is subject to change without notice. Please check the Rural Subdivisions Website ( to make sure your version is sufficiently current.