Table of Contents Flooding


Local governments have flood-related bylaws and flood-plain mapping. You may contact the LG directly, or talk to your District Development Technician if you plan to subdivide near a body of water.

Pursuant to Section 86 of the Land Title Act, the Approving Officer may refuse to approve the subdivision plan if he or she considers that the land in question may be subject to a hazard of flooding.  Similar provisions are available under the Strata Property Act and the Bare Land Strata Regulations BC Reg. 75/78

In order to properly assess the potential for flooding, the Approving Officer may require the applicant to provide an engineering report certifying that the land may be used safely for the intended purposes and/or to identify possible remedial works.

If it is deemed necessary to mitigate the hazard through the construction of a dike(s), the applicant will be required to comply with the provisions of the Dike Maintenance Act and the following:

  • Hire a suitably qualified consulting professional engineer to design the works to meet provincial standards and to prepare an Operations and Maintenance Manual.
  • Obtain agreement from the local government to become the Diking Authority and assume ownership and maintenance responsibilities for the dike.
  • Provide adequate land, or statutory rights of way, to the local government to allow legal access for personel and equipment to inspect and maintain the dike
  • Prior to construction, obtain written authorization to proceed with the construction from the Inspector of Dikes, Ministry of Natural Resource Operations
For more information on the administration of the Dike Maintenance Act contact your local Deputy Inspector of Dikes.

This guide is a living document; it is subject to change without notice. Please check the Rural Subdivisions Website ( to make sure your version is sufficiently current.