Table of Contents Authority for Road Closures

Authority for Road Closures

Road closures refer to the cancelling of highway rights of way, or parts thereof, creating titled land.  For highways under provincial jurisdiction, the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure administers road closure permits pursuant to Section 60 of the Transportation Act.  Often a subdivision plan or reference plan of consolidation will result in a disposal of land. 

If a subdivision proposal includes the closure of an existing highway right of way, that closure is made through a separate process. For information about road closure applications, ask your district development technician.

This guide is a living document; it is subject to change without notice. Please check the Rural Subdivisions Website ( to make sure your version is sufficiently current.