British Columbia Government Crest
entire site this section
Main Index
Contact Us
Ministry of Transportation
Permits and Approvals
Rural Subdivision Approvals
Subdividing in BCApproval ProcessApplyUseful LinksFAQGlossaryFeedbackProvincial Map
Contacts by Districts

Download Complete PDF

Table of Contents Authority for Controlled Access Highways

Authority for Controlled Access Highway

Section 48 of the Transportation Act designates some highways as “Controlled Access Highways”.  These highways may be located anywhere in the Province.  The Ministry of Transportation has zoning, access and subdivision regulatory roles over the land adjacent to these highways. 

The Minister of Transportation regulates subdivisions adjacent to controlled access highways to minimize the impact of development on safety and traffic flow on these highways.  This requirement applies whether the lots proposed abut the controlled access highway or only the remainder is adjacent to the highway.  The Ministry of Transportation requires all access to be via a local street or frontage road if at all possible.