Your hiring policy should include the following:
- Have drivers fill out an employment application.
- Get a copy of the applicant’s driver’s licence.
- Make sure the licence is the proper class for the vehicle to be driven.
- Check for driver restrictions and endorsement (e.g., air brake endorsement) .
- Have the driver request a driver abstract from ICBC (N print).
- Ensure driver is willing to take the required Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) training, if required.
Tip: You cannot request an abstract for a driver until you hire them. So you must have the driver request their own N print. Their N print should be no more than 10 days old, so you have the most up-to-date information.