Should you train drivers yourself? Or should you hire a trainer?
You are responsible for the actions of the drivers you hire, so you may want to train them yourself. But if you find you need to hire a consultant to work with you on safety practices, make sure you check this list:
- Interview a few consultants. Don’t just pick the first one you find.
- Make sure they are experienced in the areas and issues you need help with.
- Are they willing to work with you to develop a safety plan? They should be.
- Find out the consultant’s scope of involvement. Ask the consultant this set of questions.
Make sure the consultant can offer advice on safety regulations,
- driver files
- vehicle files
- trip inspections
- driver logs
- hours of service monitoring
- vehicle maintenance
- safety plan controls and scrutiny.