You are responsible for making sure your drivers are trained. In your safety plan, write down the training you will give your drivers. How you train drivers is up to you, but the National Code requires that your drivers are trained in the following:
- Hours of Service: This is the most complex aspect of training. It will require the most amount of time.
- Trip inspections and how to record them
- How their performance is monitored
- Handing in violation tickets, Notice and Orders, roadside inspections and accident reports
- Disciplinary policy
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (if applicable)
Tip: Note that the Transportation of Dangerous Goods requires special training and certification.
See Transport Canada’s information on training for guidelines on training, and sample certificates.
Click here for a printable checklist.