There are many forms of discipline. The National Safety Code does not recommend any one way. It just says you must have one in place, in writing. Your driver policies can include:
One Example of a Progressive Discipline Policy
• first violation = verbal warning;
• second violation = written warning;
• third violation = mandatory training;
• fourth violation = 3 day suspension;
• fifth violation = termination.
Important: In all cases, your driver must acknowledge receipt of the discipline action by way of a signature and date.
On the flip side, some carriers offer incentives for violation-free driving periods. For example: If you have no violations in a year = $1000.00 bonus.