Cariboo Connector Overview
[Click map for larger version]
- The Cariboo Connector program is a long-term strategy by the Province of B.C. to widen the 440-km portion of Highway 97 between Cache Creek and Prince George to four lanes.
- Phase 2 of the work to widen the Cariboo Connector to four lanes consists of nine projects. This will add 30 km of new four-lane sections to Highway 97. This builds on the $240 million invested to widen the Cariboo Connector to four lanes since 2005.
- The nine new projects will all be underway by 2017.
Phase 2 four-laning projects are:
- Old Cariboo Highway to Sintich Road
Four-laning between Old Cariboo Highway and Sintich Road including intersection improvements, south of Prince George. Completed in August 2013.
- Stone Creek to Williams Road
Four-laning between the Stone Creek Bridge and Williams Road including replacement or realignment at the CN Rail Overhead, south of Prince George. Construction beginning in 2015.
- Quartz Road to Dragon Lake
-laning between Quartz Road and Dragon Lake, south of Quesnel. Construction beginning in 2015.
- Carson to Fox Mountain Road
-laning between Carson Drive and Fox Mountain Road in Williams Lake including access management and intersection improvements. Currently in design.
- Williams Lake I.R. to Lexington
-laning between the South Boundary of the Williams Lake Indian Reserve and Lexington Road. Currently in design.
- Stormy Road
-laning, tying together the previously-constructed Stormy Road North and Bullock Lake Road projects, south of 100 Mile House. Completed in October 2013.
- 74 Mile to 76 Mile
Four-laning, tying together the Stormy and 70 Mile North sections, south of 100 Mile House. Construction in progress. Completion anticipated fall 2015.
- 70 Mile North
-laning starting north of Willow Road, near the community of 70 Mile House. Completed in October 2013.
- Bonaparte Intersection
Intersection improvements at Bonaparte intersection, north of Cache Creek. Completed November 19, 2012.
- Simon Fraser Bridge
Twinning of the Simon Fraser Bridge on Highway 97 across the Fraser River in Prince George. The twinned bridge opened in August 2009 and the project was completed in November 2009.
- Simon Fraser Bridge to Sintich Road
A 5 km length of Highway 97 south of Prince George was widened to four lanes. Completed in October 2010.
- Red Rock Weigh Scale
Construction of a state-of-the-art weigh scale facility just south of Red Rock. 5.1 km of Highway 97 was also widened to four lanes. Completed in October 2010.
- Plett Road to Stone Creek Bridge
Replacement of a two-lane bridge with a four-lane structure, and widening a 1.5 km portion of Highway 97 to four lanes. Completed in June 2011.
- Plett Road
Widening of 3 km of Highway 97 to four lanes, approximately 35 km south of Prince George. Completed in 2006.
- Hixon Bridge
Replacement of a two-lane bridge with a four-lane structure, as well as 700 metres of four-laning. Completed in 2009.
- Dale Lake Road to Dragon Lake Road
Widening of 3.2 km of Highway 97 to four lanes, south of Quesnel. Completed in 2009.
- Cody Road to Australian Rest Area
2.5 km of Highway 97 was widened to four lanes. The project is located 30 km south of Quesnel. Completed in October 2010.
- Williams Lake Intersection Improvements
Construction of a new intersection, with left turn slots and acceleration/deceleration lanes, 4 km south of Williams Lake in partnership with the Williams Lake Indian Band. Completed in 2006.
- Likely Road to Williams Lake
A two kilometre four-laning project from Likely Road intersection to south boundary of Williams Lake Indian Reserve. Completed 2009.
- 148 Mile to Likely Road – 3.5 km, four lane project 15 kilometres south of Williams Lake in the community of 150 Mile House. The design of 4-lane in this section of highway will address growing congestion and protect future mobility and safety as highway development pressures increase in this area. Construction is underway and scheduled for completion by Summer 2012.
- Fletchers Four-Laning
Widening 2 km of Highway 97 to four lanes, south of Williams Lake. Completed in 2005.
- Wright Station Curves
Significant safety improvement with the widening of 4.2 km of Highway 97 near Lac La Hache. Completed in October 2010.
- Horse Lake Road
Improvements to the intersection of Horse Lake Road and Highway 97 in 100 Mile House. Completed in October 2010.
- Bullock Lake Road South
Widening 2 km of Highway 97 to four lanes, south of 100 Mile House.Completed in 2009.
- Stormy Road North
Widening one km of Highway 97 to four lanes, south of 100 Mile House. Completed in 2009.
- 59 Mile North
Widening a 2.5 km section of Highway 97 north of Clinton to four lanes, along with intersection improvements. Completed in 2009.
- Cargyle Curves
Realignment and four-laning of a 2 km section of Highway 97 south of Clinton. Completed in October 2010.